Exploring the stunning waterscapes of Vietnam by boat can seem overwhelming with so many options available. Known for its rich coastal biodiversity and mesmerizing landscapes, the country offers some of the most captivating boat trips in Southeast Asia.
This comprehensive guide will offer you insights into top rated boat journeys, from serene river cruises to exciting sea voyages, making your selection easier. Let’s embark on this nautical adventure discovering Vietnam’s best kept secrets!
- Vietnam offers a variety of boat tours, including river cruises, seaside tours, sightseeing tours, adventure tours, and more.
- Popular destinations for boat trips in Vietnam include Ninh Binh, Ha Long Bay, Vinh Trang Pagoda in the Mekong Delta, and Cat Ba Island.
- The best time to take a boat trip in Vietnam is between April and June or September and November.
- Top boat trips in Northern Vietnam include a cruise tour of Ha Long Bay and a day tour of Ninh Binh.
- Central Vietnam highlights include a Da Nang City Tour by Boat and a Mekong Delta Day Trip from Saigon.
- Southern Vietnam boat trip options include exploring the Mekong Delta’s charms and taking a Cat Ba Island & Halong Bay Tour.
- Travelers recommend budget – friendly day cruises or luxurious longer duration cruises for their boat tour experiences in Vietnam.
- Popular boating companies and tours that offer boat trips in Vietnam include Halong Bay Boutique Cruises, Hanoi Cruises, and Mekong Delta Tours.
Vietnam Boat Trips: An Overview
Vietnam offers a variety of boat tours, allowing visitors to explore its stunning natural landscapes and immerse themselves in the local culture.
Types of boat tours available
Taking a boat tour is a great way to see Vietnam. There are many different tours you can choose from.
- River Tours: Sail on peaceful rivers and see towns up close.
- Seaside Tours: See the beautiful coasts of Vietnam from the sea.
- Sightseeing Tours: Visit famous places on a guided tour.
- Adventure Tours: Have fun with activities like snorkeling or hiking.
- Bike Tours: Combine biking and boating in one trip, like in Ninh Binh.
- Cave Explorations: Get into a small boat and explore dark caves.
- Cruising Experiences: Stay on a big boat for a few days and nights, such as in Halong Bay.
- Bay Tours: See special sights like Halong Bay from the water.
- Island Hopping: Visit many islands on one trip to places like Cat Ba island.
- Historical Tours: Learn about the history of Vietnam as you travel by boat.
Popular destinations for boat trips in Vietnam
Vietnam has many places for boat trips. Here are some of them:
- Ninh Binh: This place is not far from Hanoi, about 100km away. You can see lots of cute animals here.
- Mekong Delta to Cambodia: This trip is very popular. You can travel between the Mekong Delta and Phnom Penh or Siem Reap in Cambodia.
- Ha Long Bay: On this trip, you will see big rocks and green water. Many people like it a lot.
- Vinh Trang Pagoda tour in the Mekong Delta: If you are in Southern Vietnam, you should try this trip.
- Halong Bay on a junk boat: A junk boat is a big ship where you can sleep while you travel.
- Trang An and basket boat rides: You can go on fun rides at these spots too!
Navigating Around Vietnam By Boat
To navigate around Vietnam by boat, you can utilize ferry services and river cruises, providing a unique way to explore the country’s waterways and beautiful landscapes.
Ferry services and river cruises
You will find many ways to see Vietnam on the water. One is by ferry services and river cruises.
- Ferry services let you explore the Mekong Delta with ease. You can also use them to hop to Cambodia’s Phnom Penh or Siem Reap.
- You can ride river cruises in Vietnam to reach far – away places. Some cruise lines go beyond the usual stops.
- Halong Bay is a hit for boat trips in Vietnam. It’s a must-see for tourists!
- Take a boat tour in Ho Chi Minh City to see more of this busy place.
- The Mekong River has lots of river cruises you can try.
- Visit Cat Ba Island by booking a boat trip there! It’s loved by many tourists who come to Vietnam.
Best time to take a boat trip in Vietnam
The best time to take a boat trip in Vietnam is during the months of April to June and September to November. These are considered the optimal times for exploring Vietnam’s waterways by boat.
During these months, the weather is usually not too extreme, making it ideal for enjoyable boat excursions. It’s important to note that the Mekong River Cruise is best enjoyed between November and April, which is the dry season with cooler temperatures and less rainfall.
So plan your boat trip accordingly and have a great time exploring Vietnam’s beautiful landscapes from the water!
Top Boat Trips In Northern Vietnam
Experience the stunning beauty of Ha Long Bay on a relaxing cruise or explore the picturesque landscapes of Ninh Binh with a day tour by boat.
Ha Long Bay Cruise
Ha Long Bay is a must-visit destination in Northern Vietnam. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most popular tourist spots in the country. The best way to explore Ha Long Bay is through a cruise tour.
Most cruises in Ha Long Bay are conducted on traditional junk boats, which give you a unique and authentic experience. There are different options available for Ha Long Bay cruises, but the three-day cruise allows for more extensive exploration of the bay.
Starting from Cat Ba Island, these tours offer breathtaking views of limestone karsts, hidden caves, and floating villages. So if you’re planning a trip to Northern Vietnam, don’t miss out on the opportunity to go on a Ha Long Bay cruise and discover the natural beauty of this stunning UNESCO site.
Ninh Binh Day Tour
The Ninh Binh Day Tour is a popular boat trip in northern Vietnam. Located about 100km from Hanoi, Ninh Binh is known for its picturesque countryside and stunning limestone formations.
Many visitors choose to take a day tour from Hanoi to explore this beautiful region. The boat tours in Ninh Binh allow you to cruise along the waterways, admiring the scenic landscapes and passing through caves.
It’s like experiencing “Halong Bay on Land”. Whether you’re interested in exploring caves or enjoying the natural beauty of the countryside, the Ninh Binh Day Tour offers an enjoyable sightseeing experience for all.
Central Vietnam: Boat Trip Highlights
Experience the beauty of Da Nang City by boat, exploring its iconic landmarks and vibrant culture.
Da Nang City Tour by Boat
Da Nang City Tour by Boat is a popular activity in Central Vietnam. It is part of a comprehensive guide to exploring the best boat trips in Vietnam. This tour allows visitors to discover the beauty of Da Nang and its surroundings from a different perspective, on the water.
During the Da Nang City Tour by Boat, you can visit stunning attractions like Tam Coc, Hoa Lu & Mua Caves Full-Day Trip and Lady Buddha, Marble Mountains. These places offer picturesque landscapes and rich cultural heritage that will leave you amazed.
In addition to these must-visit spots, there are also various boat tours and water sports available in Da Nang. You can choose to go kayaking, jet skiing, or parasailing for an adrenaline rush.
Whether you’re looking for relaxation or adventure, this tour has something for everyone.
Mekong Delta Day Trip
Explore the beauty of the Mekong Delta on a day trip from Saigon. This tour takes you to all the top attractions in the region, including motorized boat rides along the serene Tien River.
As you cruise through fruit orchards and islets, you’ll be immersed in the tranquility of nature. One of the highlights of this trip is a visit to Vinh Trang Pagoda, where you can admire its unique blend of Vietnamese, Khmer, and Chinese architecture.
With options for both day trips and multi-day liveaboard tours available, a Mekong Delta boat trip is an excellent way to experience this charming region.
Exploring Southern Vietnam By Boat
Experience the charms of the Mekong Delta and embark on a breathtaking Cat Ba Island and Halong Bay tour.
Visit the Mekong Delta’s Charms
The Mekong Delta in Southern Vietnam is a must-visit destination for boat tours. Whether you choose a day trip or a multi-day liveaboard adventure, there are plenty of charms to discover.
As you explore the vast rivers and tranquil canals, you’ll have the opportunity to visit floating markets and marvel at the vibrant fruit orchards that line the waterways. Starting from Ho Chi Minh City, these boat trips offer an immersive experience where local guides share stories and insights about this unique region.
The Mekong Delta is truly a treasure waiting to be explored.
Cat Ba Island & Halong Bay Tour
One of the top boat trips in southern Vietnam is the Cat Ba Island & Halong Bay Tour. Located about 32 miles from Hai Phong City, you can reach Cat Ba Island in just one hour by speedboat.
This island is part of the famous Halong Bay and offers stunning sights such as dramatic coastlines, lush jungles, and towering limestone karsts. On this tour, you can explore the area by taking a boat ride and even go kayaking to discover hidden caves and grottos.
For those who enjoy swimming, there are also sandy beaches where you can take a refreshing dip. What’s great about visiting Cat Ba Island is that it provides a more affordable option compared to Halong Bay, allowing visitors to experience similar landscapes without breaking the bank.
Boat Tour Options in Vietnam: What Travelers Are Saying
Travelers in Vietnam have a lot to say about the boat tour options available. From budget-friendly day cruises to luxurious longer duration cruises, there is something for everyone.
Ninh Binh’s Tam Coc boat tours are highly recommended by tourists, offering breathtaking scenery and a chance to explore caves and limestone karsts. Halong Bay cruises are also popular, with junk boats being the preferred choice for many travelers.
These traditional vessels provide an authentic experience while cruising through the stunning UNESCO World Heritage Site. So whether you’re looking for adventure or relaxation, Vietnam’s boat tour options are sure to impress.
How to Book a Boat Trip in Vietnam
To book a boat trip in Vietnam, you can choose from popular boating companies and tours that offer various options for exploring the country’s waterways.
Popular boating companies and tours
If you’re looking to book a boat trip in Vietnam, there are several popular boating companies and tours to consider. Here are some options:
- Halong Bay Boutique Cruises: They offer a variety of boat options and tours specifically tailored for exploring the stunning Halong Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Hanoi Cruises: They provide boat tours that allow you to explore Vietnam’s waterways from Hanoi, offering sightseeing opportunities along the rivers.
- Mekong Delta Tours: They specialize in boat trips through the Mekong Delta region, providing a unique experience to explore Vietnam’s waterways.
Booking tips and recommendations
When booking a boat trip in Vietnam, there are a few tips and recommendations to keep in mind. First, it’s important to choose the right boat for your Halong Bay cruise. Consider factors such as the size of the boat, amenities offered, and the duration of the trip.
Online reservations are recommended as they often offer the best prices for Halong Bay cruises.
Another tip is to book your boat trip in advance. This ensures that you secure your spot and gives you more options to choose from. Additionally, planning a visit to Vietnam specifically for exploring Halong Bay can be a great idea.
The scenery and natural wonders of this area are truly enchanting.
To make the most of your boat trip, it’s also important to know when to go and what essentials to bring. The best time to visit Halong Bay is during spring or autumn when the weather is pleasant.
Don’t forget essentials such as sunscreen, hats, swimwear (if applicable), comfortable shoes, and a camera to capture all those beautiful moments.
Tips For A Safe & Enjoyable Boat Trip in Vietnam
Ensure your safety on the water by wearing a life jacket, listening to the captain’s instructions, and being aware of your surroundings at all times.
Safety precautions on the water
Before you embark on a boat trip in Vietnam, it’s important to take certain safety precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Here are some tips:
- Take health precautions: Make sure to get the recommended vaccinations before your trip to Vietnam. It’s also important to drink bottled water and use mosquito repellent to protect yourself from diseases.
- Stay informed about safety guidelines and regulations: Before you set off on your boat trip, familiarize yourself with the safety guidelines and regulations provided by the boat company or tour operator. This will help you understand what to expect and how to stay safe during your journey.
- Wear a life jacket: Whenever you’re on board a boat, whether it’s a cruise or a ferry, always wear a life jacket. This will ensure your safety in case of any unforeseen circumstances.
- Follow instructions from crew members: Listen carefully to the instructions given by the crew members on the boat. They are trained professionals who know how to navigate the water safely, so it’s important to follow their guidance.
- Be aware of weather conditions: Keep an eye on the weather forecast before your boat trip and during your journey as well. If there are any storms or rough weather predicted, it’s best to postpone or reschedule your trip for another day.
- Avoid overloading: Make sure that the boat you’re traveling on is not overloaded with too many passengers or cargo. Overloading can affect the stability of the boat and increase the risk of accidents.
- Be cautious when boarding or disembarking: Pay attention when boarding or disembarking from the boat, especially if there is uneven terrain or slippery surfaces. Take your time and hold onto handrails if available.
Packing essentials for a boat trip
To have a safe and enjoyable boat trip in Vietnam, it’s important to pack the right essentials. Here are some items you should bring:
- Rain jacket: Keep yourself dry during unexpected rain showers.
- Travel umbrella: Provide extra protection from the rain or sun.
- Rain cover for your backpack: Keep your belongings dry and protected.
- Valid international driving license: If you plan to rent a boat or drive one yourself, make sure you have the necessary license.
- Full face helmet: For those who want to participate in water sports or activities, a helmet is essential for safety.
- Comfortable clothing: Pack lightweight and breathable clothes suitable for the weather in Vietnam.
- Map or GPS: Help navigate your way around the waterways and find your desired destinations.
Discovering the best boat trips in Vietnam is an incredible adventure that allows you to immerse yourself in the country’s natural beauty and rich culture. From exploring Ha Long Bay’s stunning limestone islands to cruising along the Mekong Delta, there are endless opportunities for unforgettable experiences on the water.
So grab your life jacket and get ready to embark on an exciting journey through Vietnam’s top boating destinations!
1. Which are the best boat trips to explore in Vietnam?
Some of the best boat trips to explore in Vietnam include Ha Long Bay, Mekong Delta, Nha Trang Bay, Cham Islands, and Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park.
2. How much do boat trips in Vietnam cost?
The cost of boat trips in Vietnam varies depending on factors such as duration, destination, type of boat, and included activities. It’s best to check with tour operators for specific pricing.
3. What should I bring on a boat trip in Vietnam?
It is recommended to bring essentials such as sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, insect repellent, swimsuit/towel if swimming is involved. Additionally, carry some cash or card for additional expenses during the trip.
4. Are these boat trips suitable for children and families?
Yes! Many of the boat trips in Vietnam are family-friendly and suitable for children. However it’s always good to check with tour operators regarding any age restrictions or safety guidelines beforehand.
5. Is it necessary to book a boat trip in advance?
While it’s not always necessary to book a boat trip in advance during non-peak seasons or weekdays; however during peak times like holidays or weekends it is highly recommended as availability might be limited due to high demand.